Over 70s dating uk

Travel insurance for over 70s

By Kevin Pratt on Tuesday 15 November 2016

In this Article

Over 70s travel insurance is essential for those travellers with a pre-existing medical condition who are planning a holiday or trip abroad and need the right kind of insurance policy in place.

Older people are now travelling more than ever before, but as a retired holidaymaker, you may find that the cost of cover is now far more expensive than it was a few years previously.

To find out more about sourcing travel insurance for the over 70s, read on or click our ‘Get a quote’ button now to begin comparing cover from a variety of UK insurers.

Insurers levy higher premiums to older travellers because statistically, they are more likely to make a claim, either for medical treatment abroad, or for a holiday cancelled because of ill-health.

Some insurers only offer annual policies to older travellers up to a specified age limit.

Generally speaking, insurers class older travellers into certain age brackets: 55-65 and 65-74. After the age of 74, insurance will usually go up annually, or every five years, depending on the provider.

If you are hoping to make the most of your freedom by jetting off to a far-flung destination, there are travel insurance options available to you, but generally speaking, you may have to pay a higher price for your cover.

That said, over 70s holiday insurance usually comes with additional benefits that don't come with policies for younger travellers, such as extra emergency and medical cover.

Over 70s and pre-existing medical conditions

Older travellers are more likely to have a pre-existing medical condition, such as cancer and hypertension - and some will find they are denied cover because of that condition.

But there are insurers who will offer cover specifically for older travellers with current or past health issues.

With providers that offer specialist holiday insurance for over 70s, the screening process will often be more personal and tailored to your own particular medical history; staff are often very knowledgeable about medical conditions too.

MoneySuperMarket can help you find an insurer sympathetic to pre-existing medical conditions.

Other over 70s holiday insurance options

If, as with many travellers aged over 70, you plan to travel for a longer period, or to several different destinations in one trip, an annual travel policy may be the way to go. This can work out cheaper than buying separate single trip policies.

Equally, if you're not planning on travelling beyond Europe, look for a policy offering annual cover for just Europe, as this can be much cheaper than a worldwide policy.

Whatever you do, steer clear of the insurance policy being sold by your tour operator, as it will almost certainly cost you more than one bought independently.

Keeping over 70s travel insurance costs down

Take the time to research and compare quotes online, as prices for holiday insurance for the over 70s can vary widely.

Make sure you read the small print, so you know exactly what you are covered for.

If you find you are turned away by a general insurer for being the wrong age, consider quotes from insurers who specialise in older travellers, as they will base quotes on an individual's health and claims history.

At MoneySuperMarket, you can compare travel insurance for over 70s from both general insurers and specialists.

Before you go away on your travels, read up on your destination in guidebooks and online.

Also do a bit of research into the health risks in the country you're visiting on the NHS travel pages. Check if you need any vaccinations or other medication, such as malaria tablets.

Keep your legs moving during a flight to avoid deep vein thrombosis, drink plenty of water, and take a walk at least every couple of hours.

At your destination, don't drink tap water until you've checked it's safe to do so.

Make sure your passport is still valid for six months after your return date, and that you've got the necessary visas required for any of the destinations you plan to visit.

Apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as this entitles you to some free treatment if you are travelling abroad in the EU.

Alert your bank to where you are travelling, and take a note of the emergency number for your bank and numbers of all cards and travellers cheques.

Leave contact numbers and an outline of your itinerary with friends or family at home, and stay in touch over phone or email.

Did you find this helpful? Why not share this article?

  • Share this article on Facebook
  • Share this article on Twitter
  • Share this article on Google +
  • Share this article on LinkedIn
  • Send this article via Email

Popular travel insurance guides

If you have a pre-existing condition, you can find cover catered to you.

We can compare policies to find the right travel insurance for you

Compare quotes for travellers over the age of 65.

Our travel insurance guide gives you the lowdown on policy costs, cover types and what you are covered for.

Compare annual multi-trip policies for frequent travellers.

Read our guide to find out how to find a cheaper policy for anyone over the age of 80.

Specialised cover designed to suit the medical requirements of a pregnant woman on holiday.

Been captured by wanderlust? Get backpackers insurance to safeguard your travels.

Moneysupermarket.com Limited is an appointed representative of Moneysupermarket.com Financial Group Limited, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA FRN 303190).

Moneysupermarket.com Financial Group Limited, registered in England No. 3157344. Registered Office: Moneysupermarket House, St. David's Park, Ewloe, CH5 3UZ. Telephone 01244 665700

Here's some important information about the services MoneySupermarket provides. Please read and retain for your own records. About our service

We use cookies to give you the best experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our Cookie Policy

Comments 0